Puma Track and Field compete in NJCAA Indoor National Championships

Charles Landis, Sports Editor, Puma Press

Nine student-athletes from the Paradise Valley Community College Track and Field team had the special opportunity to compete in the National Junior Collegiate Athletic Association’s Indoor National Championships on Friday, March 4 and Saturday, March 5 in Winston-Salem North Carolina.

The women’s team finished 13th, overall, at the meet with a total of 15 points, while the men’s team did not place in the meet with no points received.

Three student-athletes earned All-American honors from the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA). They earned this honor by finishing among the top eight in their events at the NJCAA Indoor Track and Field.”

Though the teams did not have a top ten finish, nine athletes represented the Pumas at the National Championships.

Freshman John Winfield finished in 10th place in the men’s 3000-meter race and 11th in the 5000-meter race.

Sophomore Alemayehu Bates finished in 9th place in the men’s 5000-meter race and 12th in the 3000-meter race.

Sophomore Erik Oswald rounded out the men’s performances with a 9th place finish in the men’s one mile run.

On the women’s side, three student-athletes earned All-American honors from the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA). They earned this honor by finishing among the top eight in their events at the NJCAA Indoor Track and Field.

Freshman Hannah Jarman finished 5th in the women’s 5000-meter and 6th in the 3000-meter race and earned All-American honors for both races.

Sophomore Billie Jo Dytrt earned All-American honors for her 6th place finish in the women’s 5000-meter race and also placed 16th in the 3000-meter race.

Freshman Taylor Brenden also was recognized as an All-American for placing 5th in the women’s 3000-meter run and 8th in the mile run.

Freshman Malibu Walter placed 14th in the women’s pole vault.

Rounding out the women’s performances, freshman Courtney Brown finished 16th in the women’s high jump.

The PVCC athletic director, Christina Hundley, said, “Taylor, Billie and Hannah all performed very well.  All of them put points on the board for PVCC and garnered All-American honors.  Alex, Gustavo, Erik and John represented the Pumas well.  Competing in the national championship topped off a great season for all four.”

The Puma Track and Field’s next meet is the Puma Outdoor on Sat. Mar 26th at 10 a.m.