Top 7 pop songs to listen to on your summer road trip

Rachel Thompson, Fine Arts Editor, Puma Press

Imagine that you’re with your friends all packed up and ready to go on a road trip during the summer. The car is completely silent. You would think that everyone would be screaming with excitement about your upcoming journey. Suddenly you, as the driver, decide to put on some music. Instead of listening to the radio that repeats the same old songs, you plug in your Ipod and start a “perfect summer” playlist that you created the night before to make the experience more entertaining. Here are seven top pop songs that you can add to your summer road trip playlist.

“Cake by the Ocean” by DNCE — Last summer it was Maroon 5’s “Sugar” that was played on the radio all summer long. This summer, it should be “Cake by the Ocean” by DNCE. The video shows the band singing the song on a stage at the beach with a huge slice of cake in front of them. It also shows crowds of people wearing swimsuits and eventually they take handfuls of the cake and throw it at each other. The song and video are literally just about eating cake by the ocean. The beat is festive and cheerful and no matter what, it can improve your mood if you’re upset.

“Dangerous Woman” by Ariana Grande — “Dangerous Woman” is Grande’s new single from her upcoming album that will be released May 20 this year. It is very different from her usual material. It’s a mature song that displays Grande’s talented vocals and has a little bit of a rock influence.

“New Romantics” by Taylor Swift — “New Romantics” is like an updated version of Swift’s “22.” Both songs are about hanging with friends and not caring about being single. But “New Romantics” is different because the introduction of the song suggests that Swift is talking instead of singing,“We’re all bored. We’re all so tired of everything…” It’s like she is speaking directly to the listener, which makes it more relatable and unique.

“I know what you did last summer” by Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello — “I know what you did last summer” is a perfect duet that Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello sing. Although, the song’s theme is about cheating, it’s still a catchy song to get you dancing and singing along. It has a fast tempo but it’s an upbeat and uplifting song.

“Me, Myself and I” by G-Eazy featuring Bebe Rexha — “Me, Myself and I” is a rap and pop duet. It’s about being content with yourself and not needing to be in a relationship to be happy. As long as you love yourself, you can be happy on your own. It has a rhythm that is smooth and consistent throughout the whole song.

“Youth” by Troye Sivan — “Youth” is very nostalgic and smooth. It can make the listener(s) calm. After signing along to a lot of songs, this one is so refreshing that it can help listeners wind down for a while. The beat is a slow tempo and turns into a quicker beat that resembles DJ mixes or electronic music.

Here” by Alessia Cara — “Here” has a hip hop, rap and pop theme. The song’s lyrics are about being uninterested in the party scene. This song is different from regular songs on the radio. Instead of talking about loving the party scene and drinking or doing drugs, it goes against the idea. This song is relatable and enjoyable, a good song to learn and sing along with.