Beyonce releases new fashion line: Ivy Park

Beyonce teams up with Top Shop to release her own active, leisure wear as Ivy Park

Nia Mcmillon, Fashion Editor, Puma Press

On April 14, Beyoncé released her own line of active wear in partnership with Top Shop. According to its official website, Ivy Park is merging fashion led design with technical innovation. Creating a new kind of performancewear: modern essentials for both on and off the field.

Each item is imbedded with special technological advancements so the clothes remain intact for performance and everyday wear.

The brand includes versatile clothing pieces, ranging from bathing suits to active ensembles (T-shirts, leggings, headbands, etc.). The collection revolves around staple sports gear: leggings, bra tops, tank tops, sweatshirts and technical jackets.

For example, the reflective long sleeve wrap back jacket features ventilation mesh panels to keep individuals from overheating while still giving a light weight feel. While the jackets have a hexagon woven pattern, the jackets are made with a reflective liner (a night bike rider must have), making it easier for others to notice the individual.

The brand offers three feature styles of leggings: low-rise (sits low on hips), mid-rise (sits right under navel), and high rise (cuts over the navel). These pants provide opaque, breathable material that helps resist sweat damage with the use of sweat wicking fabric. This increases the longevity of the pants, sustaining washing without odor remaining in the fabric.

While leggings are an important piece of workout wear, the active tank tops are designed to move with the body. Made with back mesh material for ventilation and an internal shelf bra to provide support, the tank clings to the body, creating a tight silhouette.

The price range of the Ivy Park creations is a little higher than Victoria Secret’s Pink active wear. For example, a sports bra from Pink ranges from $25 to $64 depending on design and support level. Ivy park sports bras are priced from $36 to $100 depending on the style and versatility.

Though the brand is exclusively in partnership with Topshop, a United Kingtom upscale clothing store, it is also available for sale through Nordstrom in their Topshop department and on Zalando.com.

On April 16, Scottsdale Fashion Square’s Nordstrom store hosted a release party for the brand launch. It is the only location in Arizona thus far to release the exclusive line. However, since the line was released on Thursday, most of the product was already gone by Saturday’s party. The only product still available included active leggings, some basic white T-shirts and a few bra tops with matching shorts.

Most of the Nordstrom employees were wearing the product, but very few customers cared much for the line. Passersby seemed interested and openly discussed the rumors of the new line, but with only a few items left, very few individuals took an interest in the line. Purchases online caused the website to shut down from as the overwhelming BeyHive (Beyoncé fan base group) swarmed the page to make purchases according to USA Today. Top Shop released a statement via Twitter reassuring customers that more products will be produced and to keep an eye on the website for size availability.

This is not Beyoncé first clothing brand release. In 2006 Beyoncé and mother, Tina Knowles, released House of Dereon, featuring a broad array of clothing styles. The mission of House of Dereon was “to fuse celebrity power and design artistry into a brand of global importance… a house of aspiration and inspiration… where entertainment and fashion merge seamlessly.” However, after fashion critiques deemed the brand as overpriced and garish, sales decreased. In 2012, the brand shut down in order to relaunch. The website was disabled only to leave the Facebook page that hasn’t been updated in 4 years. With a second chance, Beyoncé’s newest collection will be under heavy review.