Pumpkin spice products to try for fall 2016

New pumpkin spice products flood store shelves

Allison Neri, Foods Editor, Puma Press

Summer has come and gone to the dismay of some, but with fading tan lines comes pumpkin spice flavored everything. Pumpkin spice has become more popular over the past few years, and companies are jumping on the pumpkin bandwagon. As the store shelves flood with the new products, it’s also important to keep in mind that pumpkin spice doesn’t necessarily mean that it was made with pumpkin. Pumpkin spice is in fact just that, a spice which generally consists of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. That being said, it doesn’t take away from the delicious pumpkin-pie-like flavor we wait for with anticipation all year round.

Here are a few pumpkin spice items that have been recently released in stores.

donut

Dunkin’ Donuts Pumpkin Spice Donut

The Dunkin’ Donuts pumpkin spice donut. What it lacks in presentation, it makes up for in flavor. This limited time donut is the perfect combination of pumpkin and the classic glazed.

poptart

Frosted Pumpkin Pie Poptart

The limited addition Frosted Pumpkin Pie Poptart that was recently released is definitely a must try. The tart filling holds up to the real deal, and the frosting is the perfect replicate for the whip cream.

cookie

Pepperidge Farm Pumpkin Cheescake Cookie

The cookie is very potent when it comes to the taste, but overall it is pretty underwhelming. The little cheesecake bites save the cookie from being boring; however, it still didn’t live up to standards.

pumpkincereal

Special K Pumpkin Spice Crunch Cereal

The cereal was pretty bland if you don’t have any of the clusters. There is not much to say because it was overall disappointing.

oatmeal

Quaker Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal

First impression was that the initial smell left little to be desired, but that’s not a deciding factor of worthiness. If you are looking for that strong pumpkin spice flavor you won’t find it here. The oatmeal was sweet and that’s about it.

hotchocolate

Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate

The hot chocolate is by far the best pumpkin spice product to hit the shelves. It was rich, creamy and satisfied that pumpkin spice craving without being too over powering. If you are looking for a little treat to give you that pumpkin fix, look no further.

pumpkinspice

Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte

The infamous, and arguably, most talked about pumpkin spice item to ever exist. It’s good, but is it worth all the hype? Not really. It’s a fun flavor to have for the season, but that’s really about it.

Here are a few honorable mentions that would also be fun to try during the pumpkin spice season.

almonds

Brach’s Double Crunch Pumpkin Pie Almonds

pumpkinpretzels

Creative Snacks Co. Pumpkin Spice Yogurt Pretzels