3 hiking destinations to visit in Arizona

Arizona offers a variety of hiking trails across its rocky terrain

Carolyn Cuevas, Travel Editor

There are countless hiking and rock climbing trails to visit in Arizona. These places are known for camping, exploring and hiking throughout their rocky trails. Since Arizona has dry weather, it’s bearable to hike all year round whether it’s cold or not. Arizona might not have Universal Studios or Disneyland, but it does offer a variety of wildlife and wilderness trails across its environment.

Here are three popular hiking destinations to spend your time exploring in Arizona.

Echo Canyon is located in the same area of the popular Camelback Mountains.

Photo by Carolyn Cuevas

Echo Canyon

This Camelback summit trail has an elevation of 1,168 feet (356 meters). According to phoenix.gov, “the summit of Camelback Mountain is 2,704 feet above sea level…”

Before beginning the hike, there is a red sign warning about an “Extremely Difficult” hiking trail, so please think twice about this hiking trail if you suffer from asthma or anything that will cause you trouble breathing when hiking too high.

Echo Canyon has a magnificent view from where hikers can watch the city of Phoenix. Any hikers or visitors can bring their dogs as long as they keep them on a leash. With its close location to Downtown Phoenix, Fossil Creek can provide a full day of activities. If you’re up for wild adventures, then feel free to visit any time during the year.

The famous Waterfall Trail in Fossil Creek, Arizona.

Photo by Carolyn Cuevas

Fossil Creek

This trail is about “8 miles out and back,” according to Alltrails. Located in Pine, Arizona, this trail has a grand waterfall along with some smaller waterfalls and plenty of sightseeing to dedicate your day.

Despite falling and twisting her ankle, Leslie Pena, a first time hiker at Fossil Creek, loved the trail.

“I loved how beautiful the waterfall looked,” Pena said. “The blue water looks like the sky.”

While a permit for parking is required before entering the Fossil Creek main area due to careless visitors littering in the past, anyone, including dogs, is welcome to visit and explore the long mountainous trail year round.

Sedona, Arizona’s Red Rock Mountain from a distance.

Photo by Carolyn Cuevas

Sedona, Arizona

Sedona is one of the most popular locations in Arizona. It is very touristy and offers many activities, like hiking, enjoying the sunny weather and exploring Red Rock. As hikers visit the forest, but most importantly the parks and mountains, they must have a Red Rock permit pass, according to Hitthetrail.