6 tips for the stressed out student

Back-to-school excitement turns into stress and mess

Starlight Tucker, Features Editor, Puma Press

Binders and backpacks are filled with unnecessary papers, with cell phones or important papers sinking to the bottom of the backpack: the black hole. When the mind sees clutter, the mind feels cluttered. Studying is much easier when the student has a method of organizing the busy mind.

1. Get a PLANNER- Plan out each task for the day. Aplanner to-do list narrows down each responsibility. Each responsibility branches out into more, but a to-do list can make 50 steps turn into 10.

study2. Tips for Studying:

First, create an outline of the chapter. Write down any titles, subtitles, italics and bold print. Study this outline before reading to enhance comprehension.

Have a vocab test? Make flash cards! Memorize three at first, then add on another one. Memorize those four, add another.

3.Keep your room clean– So simple, yet so difficult. Keeping a clean space is like eye-candy. Visual organization helps the mind think thoughts of cleanliness and room
non-stress, whereas visual clutter does not represent an organized mind.

No time for cleaning? Yes there is! Pick up 5 pieces of laundry each time you enter your room and then clear 5 dishes. Wipe off the counter in the bathroom once a day, clean the mirror, each time you enter the bathroom. No need to spend 2 hours when you could spend 2 minutes throughout the day.

painting
4. Clear your mind-
Doing a hobby, sweating out built-up stress at the gym or doing a personal project unrelated to an obligation can give the student an hour or two to become distracted, thus making the stress of responsibility shrink.

5. Motivate: Invest in something that makes school work more exciting, such as visually appealing school supplies, daily inspirational messages and listen to upbeat music. motStarlight Tucker

6. Relax before studying-Try the app “headspace” for 10 free sessions in mindfulness that will teach you how to clean your brain.hs