Downtown Tempe offers a variety of restaurants and hot spots for different foods

Carolyn Cuevas, Travel Editor, Puma Press

Whether you live in the city of Tempe or you’re just stopping by, there are plenty of opportunities for easy and tasty meals. Depending on your preference, fast paced or well organized, Tempe has restaurants to accommodate your lifestyle. Also, the city of Tempe is home to ASU’s main campus, so expect a crowd when dining out, especially in the evenings.

munchies-cafePhoto by Carolyn Cuevas

1. The Munchies Café

If you’re craving or simply interested in Greek food, then The Munchies Café is the perfect restaurant. It has a patio with bike racks, in case you’re riding around town on your bike. Its most popular meal right now is the Chicken Shawarma. According to Grubhub, it identifies the meal as, “A Grilled marinated chicken breast sautéed with hot sauce and veggies on pita bread.” The restaurant is open until 3 a.m., and perhaps that’s why it was given the name, “The Munchies.”

el-hefePhoto by Carolyn Cuevas

2. El Hefe Super Macho Taqueria

If you enjoy tacos, tortas or a flavorful margarita, then El Hefe Super Macho Taqueria is a good place to get started. It offers all kinds of Mexican food along with an everyday happy hour from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. El Hefe also offers specials on your favorite beefy tacos and fun drinks.

five-guysPhoto by Carolyn Cuevas

3. Five Guys

For something basic but scrumptious, try Five Guys’ burgers. Five Guys is the restaurant for everyone offering a variety of 10 mix-in milkshakes, which in fact bacon is one of the mix-in options. According to Five Guys, their hamburgers and fries are handcrafted, and the fries are cooked in “pure peanut oil.”

raPhoto by Carolyn Cuevas

4. RA Sushi Bar

In the mood for sushi? Look no further than RA Sushi Bar. It offers many seafood choices, including fresh sushi. The great thing about RA Sushi Bar is they too have a happy hour, which makes the sushi affordable.

zippsPhoto by Carolyn Cuevas

5. Zipps Sports Grill

If you’re a sports addict and enjoy some hot wings marinated in buffalo sauce with a burger and onion rings on the side while watching your favorite team, then Zipps Sports Grill is the place for you. Lindsay Unsell, a waitress at Zipps Sports Grill, says their burgers and hot wings are their most popular dishes.

“Our salads and soups are very popular, too, but it’s mostly the wings,” said Unsell.

This restaurant offers nothing but good vibes.

untitledPhoto by Carolyn Cuevas

6. Starbucks

Enjoy some coffee in the morning, afternoon and evening, because it never gets old. Cody Spiller, Barista at Starbucks confirmed they sell more brewed coffee in the morning than anything else.

“(It) depends on the temperature outside, but for the most part it’s always brewed coffee,” said Spiller.

Starbucks, which is located all around the Valley, also offers seasonal drinks, with fall bringing the ever-popular pumpkin spice flavor to their coffee and treats.