Detox with teatox

Kaylynn Wohl, Environment Editor, Puma Press

As the weather cools down and the desire for hot beverages increases, more and more health advocates are considering the benefits of detox teas that contain herbal remedies as their go-to for internal cleansing and purifying.

You’re probably already skeptical, thinking something along the lines of oh no, another expensive drink trend that is said to improve my health or increase my weight loss. However, detox teas are proven to positively assist the body since the primary ingredients are organic and natural. They are typically cost efficient, about $5 can get you a whole box of tea bags.

According to Vegetarian Times, living in the modern world creates extra stress on our bodies; “Between the sugars, refined flours, caffeine, alcohol, dairy, chemical food additives, pesticide and environmental pollutants we encounter, our cells are exposed to myriad toxins and inflammation triggers.” Because of this, the organs of elimination (the liver, kidneys, intestines, skin, and intestines) experience extra hardships, furthering the need to take additional care of our bodies.

Green Tea and Weight Loss

One easy and obvious way to detoxifying your body is cutting down from caffeine; whether you coffee addicts want to admit that or not. Good news, though, green tea provides a smaller option of caffeine for which your mental and physical body will thank you.

Since ancient Chinese and Indian times, this cultivated tea has been widely known to provide health benefits; however, modern research shows that there are even more benefits than originally perceived. Antioxidants, as defined by the University of Maryland Medical Center, “are substances that fight free radicals” which essentially “changes cells, damages DNA and even causes cell death.” Additionally, they are “contributing to the aging process, cancer and heart disease.” The main antioxidant in green tea, called polyphenols, neutralizes the damage the free radicals cause while the “effects seem to be greater than Vitamin C.” The most studied polyphenol in green tea, EGCG, helps improve liver function, strengthen metabolic health, while also fighting off diseases, such as cardiovascular disease. Not to mention that green tea has been traditionally used for diuretic purposes: aiding in the removal of excess bodily fluids and sodium.

According to detox.org, in 2004, talkshow host Oprah Winfrey and Dr. Nigel Perricone, who has written numerous books to help people successfully lose weight, publicly discussed the weight loss factor of switching from coffee to green tea. Winfrey even claims to have lost 10 pounds in just six weeks because of this switch.

Furthermore, in 2014, researchers at Penn State’s College of Agricultural Sciences conducted an experiment involving mice “on a high-fat diet that consumed decaffeinated green tea extract and exercised regularly.” The results included “sharp reductions in final body weight and significant improvements in health.” Lead researcher and associate professor of food science, Joshua Lambert, concluded that with the combination of voluntary exercise and decaffeinated green tea, there is an increase of “basal metabolic rate [that] plays a role in increasing energy utilization and decreasing body weight.”

RecommenTEAtion for the Skin

For approximately $5 for a box of 16 tea bags, Yogi Tea Company offers an organic and vegan “Soothing Rose Hibiscus Skin DeTox” tea. It works by “essentially cleansing from the inside; reducing internal impurities to help to promote clearer, glowing skin.” The affordable beverage includes ingredients that “cools and soothes the skin, and entices the senses with a fresh, floral scent” with the presence of rose petal. The addition of green tea “supplies antioxidants to promote a sense of rejuvenation while Burdock and Yellow Dock-traditionally used to support the liver, combine with Red Clover to promote cleansing.”

According to a Huffington Post article by Emilie Davidson Hoyt, rose prevails as a beauty benefit due to the “extracts of this delicate flower [which] may be used on all skin types but are often included in products for dry, sensitive and mature skin.”

RecommenTEAtion for the Liver

Traditional Medicinals is an independent tea company that focusses on herbal remedies and “connecting people with the power of plants.” They offer many tea products that promote a healthier lifestyle and even have a line of Detox Teas; “Our tea isn’t a fad; it’s based in Traditional Chinese Medicine.” Their “EveryDay Detox” aims to help liver function by stimulating the “liver’s natural process of detoxification.” In similarity to ingredient composition, they also offer a (slightly bitter in taste) “Roasted Dandelion Root” tea that also stimulates the liver and helps with healthy digestion.

Considerably underrated due to the notion that they are “nuance plants,” the dandelion herb provides medicinal properties “for treating poor digestion, water retention and diseases of the liver, such as hepatitis,” said University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada professor N.A. Michael Eskin in Nutraceuticals World. The root, the most beneficial aspect of the plant, provides anticancer effects that causes cell death. Additionally, the root “enhances the growth of bifidobacteria, making it a potential prebiotic” that provides beneficial microorganisms to the intestines.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Detox with teatox”

1. Aaron Bruhn on October 6th, 2016 11:52 am

The soothing rose hibiscus skin detox tea sounds appealing, I need to look for that next time i’m at the store. I love hibiscus tea, but I had no idea that there was skin health benefits.

[Reply]

2. Anonymous on October 6th, 2016 8:15 pm

I love how well written this is. Usually people with magazines that include topics as such, they tend to be a little bland. Very informational and helpful. TEAsing rather. Thanks!

[Reply]

Detox with teatox