Visit Arizona’s popular museums around the Valley

Carolyn Cuevas, Travel Editor, Puma Press

From ancient to contemporary and modern arts, Phoenix has a variety of museums involving different types of artistic crafts and exhibits for the community to explore on a day out.

One of the largest museums in Phoenix is the Mesa Contemporary Arts Museum. It includes several galleries which feature different exhibits like arts created by Arizonan artists and the museum’s permanent collections, according to the Phoenix Times. For more information, visit Mesaartscenter.com.

“The Neolithic Painted Pot is my favorite because it’s interesting, and it’s about 5,000-years-old. Our curator found it in the state center in Scottsdale, which later gifted it to the Phoenix Art museum,” said Diana, a Phoenix Art Museum guide.

The Phoenix Art museum is located on Central in Downtown Phoenix. According to the Phoenix Times, the Phoenix Art Museum has displayed more than 400 exhibitions including about 18,000 works in American, Asian, contemporary, European, fashion, Latin American, photography and Western American. For more information, visit their website and find out about free admission, especially for students who attend Maricopa community colleges.

If you’re interested in contemporary or modern art, architecture or design then the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art is the one to stop by first. SMoCA has four galleries and presents about 12 exhibitions each year with 2,000 art works in their permanent collection. The admissions are fairly costly, but they have free admission on Thursdays after 5 p.m. For more information about the museum and its hours visit SMoCA.

“Our most popular sections in the Arizona Science Center museum are the level 1 and level 3, which are the ‘All About Me,’ ‘The State Foundation’ gallery and the ‘Forces of Nature’ Sybil B. Harrington gallery,” said Cassandra Lopez, an Arizona Science Center guide.

The Arizona Science Center is a museum filled with inspiration to engage in our technologies, sciences and so forth. It educates through the scientific galleries and allows “hands-on” activities to explore while learning at the same time. For more information about the museum and specific ticketing prices, visit the Arizona Science Center website.

On Feb. 14, 1914, Arizona became the 48th state when President William Howard Taft signed the proclamation. After Arizona became a state, its government set up in the Arizona State Capitol building, which is now the Arizona Capitol Museum. Expect to see old furniture and proof of how Arizona governors used to create their plans and laws. It’s significantly close to the Phoenix Art and Arizona Science Center museums in downtown, so you could do all three in one day. For more information, visit the Arizona Capital Museum’s website.