PVCC celebrates 50th anniversary of the Beatles’ landmark album

Sharlene Celeskey, Contemporary Culture, Puma Press

This week the Division of Fine and Performing Art kicks off The Sgt. Pepper’s Project at Paradise Valley Community College. The project celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Beatles’ landmark album “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.”

Thursday, Feb. 16: Tomi Johnston, art history professor, will present a lecture on the significance of the groundbreaking album cover in the Center for Performing Arts Theater from 12:30pm – 2:00pm.

Tuesday, Feb. 21: Music Professor Brett Reed will conduct a lecture on the revolutionary nature of the recording process used in the production of “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart Club Band” at 12:30pm – 2:00pm in KSC 1000A.

Wednesday, Mar. 1: Dr. Brett Reed and Dr. Christopher Scinto will hold a live recording session from 12:30pm – 2:00pm in the Center for Performing Arts in room 115.

Mar. 10 and 11 at 7:30pm, Mar. 12 at 2:00pm: Witness the Beatles’ legendary album “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” performed live by the PVCC Faculty Rock Band, special guest vocalists and a 30-piece orchestra. Advance tickets are $8-$20. There will be an additional ticket fee of $4 if purchased at the door. All performance will be held at PVCC’s Center for the Performing Arts.

Proceeds from this event will benefit the Paradise Valley Community College Student Scholarship Fund.