Good Boy Daisy ROCKS

PV students play music LOUD and HARD

Students Dylinn and Hallie Mayes learn to balance college and music here at Paradise Valley Community College in Phoenix, Arizona.

Photo by Kendell Critchett

Photo by Kendell Critchett

Sharlene Celeskey, Contemporary Culture

Breaking news… Alice Cooper’stown closes its doors after almost 20 years. Shock, sadness overcome me as I think of all the wonderful bands I saw perform there, many young and talented. Good Boy Daisy is one of those bands I first saw a year and a half ago at Alice Cooper’stown and was thoroughly impressed with their hard rock approach. The band consists of: Hallie Mayes- singer, Dylinn Mayes- guitar, Molly Mahsal- guitar, Jonathan Henderson- drums and Seth Person- bass.
I experienced Good Boy Daisy three times in the past year. When I saw them at the 2016 Proof is in the Pudding Finals at Alice Cooper’stown, last November, I noticed how they had grown as a band over that year. The next time I saw Hallie and Dylinn, it was on Paradise Valley Community College (PVCC) campus in a “New Student Orientation” I conducted. When the twins told me they were in a band, I knew immediately it was Good Boy Daisy. As I helped them sign up for classes, they told me they were interested in music and art. They chose their classes at both our 32nd Street location and the Black Mountain Campus. Later, they told me they were headlining a show at Joe’s Grotto on 32nd Street and Thunderbird in early September. I thoroughly enjoyed that show, and as I closely listened and watched it, I was very impressed with their high energy, enthusiastic approach and fantastic songs.
Several weeks later I sat down with them at PVCC.
How is your first semester going?
Hallie said, “I love the campus and like how we can work with other students. It is a great way to transition from high school. The staff is very helpful, and when we took our placement tests the ladies in testing were very sweet. Black Mountain has the same technology as this campus.”
Dylinn said, “Tutoring is easy to find and to get help there. Black Mountain is convenient for us and smaller. The coffee place there (My Sweet Blessings Bakery and Bistro) is amazing.
What do you want to major in?
D: I am thinking about taking business classes or getting a business degree to help in the music business.
H: I want to major in something related to music, but I do not want to just focus only on music.
How do you balance your musical career with your school work?
D: We schedule and divide up our classes, on Mon./Wed. and Tues./Thurs., so our homework is not all on the same days. Helps keep our nights open for events and shows. We learn a lot by going to hear other bands.
H: Our CPD 150 class teaches us how to schedule all this. We learned how you handled high school and how you will handle college. In high school, you just went through the motions, but in college you should be more responsible.
What are your musical influences?
D: ‘90s grunge, post-grunge. We listen to a lot of male bands, but if we want to relate to the music, we listen to women like Lzzy Hale of Halestorm and Haley Williams of Paramore. Our whole band has a diverse taste in music.
H: We listen to a variety of different music; from pop, punk, hard rock, Halestorm, early Paramore, Concrete Blonde to Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters to Slipknot.
How did you become musicians?
H: We chose our instruments by playing “Rock Band.”
D: Hallie jumped on drums and was better than anyone on them. Our dad said if you can get a score of 95 on Metallica’s “Enter Sandman,” then I will get you a real set of drums. And then she got a 95. Since Hallie chose the drums, I chose guitar because I was good on it on “Rock Band.”
H: When my father bought me a set of drums he got a guitar for Dylinn.
D: I asked if I could try out the guitar. Dad has always been supportive of what we are passionate about. He put us in every activity like go-carting when we were five, and he encouraged us to play soccer because he was athletic.
When did you first decide to form a band and perform?
D: We were really into listening and watching bands. The turning point was when we wanted to show a school friend we could perform at the “Stages Workshop.” We started there three years ago. They put you with students your age, and Molly was in our group. We had done the workshop several times before, and Hallie met Molly there. When we met Molly it was the first time Hallie sang in front of a crowd. Prior to that Hallie was playing drums.
H: Originally, I wanted to be a drummer, and we looked for a singer and when the singer did not show, up I stepped in to sing.
D: I had never heard her sing, but when I heard her, I realized how amazing she was. I wanted her to sing for Dad. She refused.
H: Matt Ward, our original bassist, was out of town for our first shows. We realized Molly always seemed to be around for us and she stepped in and played bass. Then she moved to guitar.
D: Then we had to let our guitarist go because he was very dedicated to rowing, which came first.
H: We found Seth, who was 14 years old, and the perfect fit. We could not ask for a better bassist.
When was your first official performance?
H: It was July 21, 2015 at the Rhythm Room, and we played on the same bill with Sugar Skulls, JAM and other students from Alice Cooper’s School of Rock. They also put their best students together for a make-shift band.
How did you feel?
D: I was so nervous. We did all covers in a one hour set.
H: I was so terrified. It was my first time singing. I should have been resting my voice, but we rehearsed our set twice before the show. My voice was shot, but we got through it. I refused to sing for six months until I had singing lessons, which I took at Alice Cooper’s Solid Rock School. We then met Seth and Jonathan there.
Who writes the most songs?
D: Molly and I write the root and rhythm of the song, and Hallie writes the lyrics and drum parts. We have original songs and are continuing writing new ones.
What was your most memorable or best performance?
D: It was our performance at the Marquee Theatre in Tempe on June 24, 2017. We were super hyped up to open up for Katastro. We ended up selling 181 tickets, and it was packed in there.
H: We had not done concerts for a long time but were excited to sell our new merchandise. The Marquee has a great light rig while the stage overlooks the whole crowd. Bands like Bush, Muse and Halestorm have played there.
D: The crowd really interacted with us, and it was a super fun venue with a great sound system. The employees were very helpful and the club had a really good green room.
What was your worst show?
Together: It was at The Rebel Lounge a year ago.
H: We had just recorded three songs, and we performed the day after. We were supposed to play for 45 minutes, and then we got ready for our fourth song, the new song.
D: Hallie introduced our new song and Jonathan just sits there for about 30 seconds. Then he says he forgot the song.
H: Then there was two minutes of silence.
D: I started playing to remind him what the song sounded like.
H: Then I said, “I guess we are not playing it.” I was new at singing, shy and too embarrassed to say much, and it felt awkward and awful. I was just standing up there, but the audience was understanding.
What are your latest gigs?
We played the Northern Navajo Nation Festival in New Mexico from Oct. 5 – 8 and were the headliners on Nov. 7. We were in a parade, experienced the Navajo culture and played our new song “It’s About Time.”
We also played the SEMA SHOW – Ford Out Front! in Las Vegas from Oct. 31 – Nov. 3.
This is the second year in a row we played in the convention center. Ford gave us a transit van with a portable stage to keep.
How did you come up with the band name, “Good Boy Daisy?”
D: We took it from a line at the end of the movie “Snatch.” (Crime comedy film from 2000 by Guy Ritchie with Brad Pitt.) https://youtu.be/xu8rdS5O7vo
Tell me about your EP.
D: The name of our EP is, “It’s About Time.”
H: My vocal coach Melissa Cross, who calls herself the Queen of Scream, was in the studio when we were recording the new EP this summer. She lives in New York; we wanted her input, so she came to the studio. She stayed there while we recorded the EP.
How was your recording experience?
H: Our EP should be out in November on ITunes, Spotify and Pandora. We recorded it on Staten Island at Nova Entertainment Studio. (The single from the EP, “It’s About Time,” is available now.)
D: The co-producers are John Moyer, bassist from the Disturbed and Ryan Kelly. We were in an awesome four story house on the water. The studio was in the basement, and they recorded the drums in the living room. If we had a break, we walked down to the beach.
H: They had a huge yard filled with lots of animals: chickens, ponies, dogs and ducks. There was a big picture window where I could look out over the yard and the rocky cliffs. We spent a week at the studio and recorded five songs.
What is your goal with “Good Boy Daisy?”
D: My only goal is “to become a household name.”
H: My goal is to take it as far as possible.
Upcoming events for Dylinn and Hallie and Good Boy Daisy include:
The KWSS Fall Fundraiser: Guilty Pleasures on Sat. Nov. 18, 6 p.m. at Last Exit Live on 717 S Central Ave., Phoenix. They headline day two of the 2017 Desert Frostover on Sat. Dec. 16 at the Marquee Theatre in Tempe, Arizona. Music for the event starts at 2 p.m.