Shemer Art Center Celebrates Dogs and Local Artists

Attendees of the Furry Friends Festival at Shemer Art Center celebrate local artists and dogs on Sept. 16. Taking a closer look at the Queensland-Heeler mixes up for adoption by the Arizona Humane Society, a woman on the left(in a pink shirt with a green purse) leans over to watch the puppies sleep in the dogpile.

Photo by Adianna Bermudez

Photo by Adianna Bermudez

Adianna Bermudez, Features Editor

On a warm sunny morning, pet owners of all ages came together to celebrate dogs and local artists at the Shemer Art Center (SAC). The SAC, located in Phoenix, Arizona in the neighborhood of Arcadia, held the Furry Friends Fine Arts Festival on Sept. 16. Twelve local artists showcased their dog themed artwork which included paintings, sculptures and even throw pillows. Sixteen business sponsors ranging from dog cleanup to pet psychics were present to discuss their services. Puppies were available for adoption on site courtesy of the Arizona Humane Society and Woofs, Wiggles, and Wags. “We have four Queensland-Heeler mixes here. All 11 weeks old and turned into our shelter a few weeks ago. All the dogs are spayed or neutered, up to date on vaccinations and microchipped,” Shelby Brose of the Arizona Humane Society said while standing by the open dog cage containing the sleeping puppies. “The dogs have been really awesome to hang around,” she said.

Photo by Adianna Bermudez
Neely and Dana Burkhardt sit on the Shemer Art Center lawn with their dog, Peppermint, during the Furry Friends Festival on Sept 16. After attending last year's festival they were inspired to adopt a new furry friend.

The Furry Friends Festival debuted last year with a total of 350 attendees and three puppies finding their forever home. This year over 700 people attended the festival. “The animal-related charities and businesses that participate receive visibility from the event and possible post-event involvement, orders and donations from attendees,” Shonna James, executive director of SAC, said in an email interview.
“It’s our first time at the Shemer Art Museum and we are having a ball,” Bonnie Romano said as she stood at her booth showcasing the products she makes with her husband Sal Romano. Bonnie and Sal began their throw pillow business, called Poppa-Artzee, five years ago. According to their website, Poppa-Artzee offers 83 dog, six cat, and six horse portraits on throw pillows that are designed and assembled by the married couple in Carefree, Arizona.
Jules Gissler, a second-time featured local artist, paints whimsical paintings with a lot of curlicues, according to her website. “I wanted to do something where people would look at it and recognize that it is a Jules’ piece,” Gissler said as she motioned toward her display of colorful paintings. “So that’s why I did the pink and yellow eyes, the curlicue eyebrows, curlicue background, and the curlicue nose,” she said. Gissler’s artwork was chosen to represent the Furry Friends Festival appearing on promotional fliers and on the SAC website.
“I love Shemer. I think it’s a great asset to Arcadia,” Gissler said. Built in 1919, the SAC was the first house built in Arcadia, according to the SAC website. Led by the Arcadia Water Company, its initial purpose was to house the workman in charge of the project to drill wells in the surrounding areas. Many years and a few owners later, the first house built in Arcadia became the SAC in 1984. Now it is a “home for the arts” that provides art classes and workshops. In addition, SAC displays exhibitions and hosts public events and art lectures.
The next Furry Friends Festival is tentatively scheduled for Sept. 15 of next year. “We have a celebrity guest confirmed for next year’s event, to be announced soon,” James said in an email interview. The event is expected to be larger with more artists and businesses to participate.