American students should not live in fear

Therese Gachnauer, center, a 18 year old senior from Chiles High School and Kwane Gatlin, right, a 19 year old senior from Lincoln High School, both in Tallahassee, join fellow students protesting gun violence on the steps of the old Florida Capitol in Tallahassee, Fla., Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018.    Students at schools across Broward and Miami-Dade counties in South Florida planned short walkouts Wednesday, the one week anniversary of the deadly shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

AP Photo by Mark Wallheiser

Therese Gachnauer, center, a 18 year old senior from Chiles High School and Kwane Gatlin, right, a 19 year old senior from Lincoln High School, both in Tallahassee, join fellow students protesting gun violence on the steps of the old Florida Capitol in Tallahassee, Fla., Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018. Students at schools across Broward and Miami-Dade counties in South Florida planned short walkouts Wednesday, the one week anniversary of the deadly shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Emma Ascott, Editor-in-Chief

In the aftermath of the Florida school shooting on Feb. 14 which resulted in the deaths of 17 people, Republicans have suggested that teachers be armed in the classrooms, according to the NYTimes.com. Why would the solution to ending gun violence and school shootings be to arm even more people with guns? Teachers do NOT get paid enough as it is, and now the president wants teachers to be armed. The students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where the shooting happened, have started a revolution. At first, many were skeptical that anyone, especially GOP lawmakers, would care about what a bunch of teenagers had to say. The students began to directly call out Republican politicians on Twitter and demand that they stop accepting money from the National Rifle Association (NRA).

CNN held a town hall meeting on Feb. 21, where the survivors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting were able to call for a ban on assault rifles. (The entirety of the town hall meeting script can be read on CNN’s website). The students were also able to question Dana Loesch, the spokesperson for the NRA, as well as Sen. Marco Rubio. One student asked Rubio to promise to never accept donations from the NRA again; he did not answer.

The students questioned Loesch as to why the shooter was able to purchase a gun legally and why the United States doesn’t have better background checks. Loesch replied that the shooter shouldn’t have been able to purchase a gun, implying that the background check system failed in this case, but on the NRA-ILA website, they clearly state that the “NRA opposes expanding firearm background check systems, because background checks don’t stop criminals from getting firearms, because some proposals to do so would deprive individuals of due process of law, and because NRA opposes firearm registration.” The United States is the only developed country in the world that has such a chronic problem with mass shootings. In 2017, there were 346 mass shootings, according to ABC15.com. The NRA controls this country through their puppets – the Republican party.

The NRA spent over $31 million supporting Trump during his presidential campaign, according to Fortune.com. This is why nothing has been done to prevent people, even mentally ill people, from buying guns during Trump’s presidency. The GOP receive far too much money from the NRA for them to care about the wellbeing of American citizens. The NRA’s ego and greed is ruining this country. They are the reason that guns are so easily available to the public. They allow potential murderers to have access to guns. The NRA has blood on their hands. The NRA should not have this much power