Pumas look forward to successful season

The Paradise Valley Community
College baseball team, the Pumas,
watch from their dugout as a
baseball fl ies into the air after
one of their own batted during
a game against Chandler-Gilbert
Community College on March 3.
Chandler-Gilbert dominated during
the fi rst inning earning a total of
three points. The Pumas came
back strong winning the game with
a total of four points. As of this
writing, the Pumas have won 19
games and lost 8 this season.

The Paradise Valley Community College baseball team, the Pumas, watch from their dugout as a baseball fl ies into the air after one of their own batted during a game against Chandler-Gilbert Community College on March 3. Chandler-Gilbert dominated during the fi rst inning earning a total of three points. The Pumas came back strong winning the game with a total of four points. As of this writing, the Pumas have won 19 games and lost 8 this season.

Photo by Adianna Bermudez

Photo by Adianna Bermudez

William Borders, Staff Writer

The Paradise Valley baseball team started off just about as hot as you could hope for winning their first eight games with a current total of 15 wins and 8 losses. The team has cooled off as it entered conference play against some of the more competitive teams in the area. “Everyone in our conference is very good,” said head baseball coach, Victor Solis.

The losses include two to Mesa Community College as well as two to Glendale Community College in the ending days of February. Each year teams undergo changes that can make or break the upcoming season. These can include players leaving the team to achieve other goals or the unfortunate circumstance of an injury on the team. This year, the Puma baseball team is younger than previous years, but has not let that fact keep them from playing hard and coming up with big wins throughout the season.

“This team is very young with only eight returners from last year,” said Solis, “I like this team because it is capable of improving each day and is talented.” The team is confident going forward and one athlete attributes their success to the coaching staff. When asked what makes this team different from other teams that they’ve played with, Ryan Jimmerson, left-handed pitcher, said, “Coach Solis gives us tough mindsets (that) make everyone better as a player and work as a team.” The goal of any coach seems simple enough: win ball games. However, Solis has a different approach, “My main goal is to improve each and every day. And to control well the things that are controlled by each person.”

By giving each athlete on the team their own space to shine, Puma baseball has maintained success and continues to work on their game. With high expectations, the Paradise Valley baseball team has yet to reach the midpoint in their season and have at least 24 remaining games