GOP silence enables gun violence

Gun advocate Jim Newman demonstrates at a gun control rally at the “No More Names: National Drive to Reduce Gun Violence,” a 25-state national bus tour, at the Georgia State Capitol, Monday, June 24, 2013, in Atlanta. Families of gun violence victims, gun owners, elected officials, faith leaders and advocates voiced their support for comprehensive background checks.
AP Photo by Jaime Henry-White

Gun advocate Jim Newman demonstrates at a gun control rally at the “No More Names: National Drive to Reduce Gun Violence,” a 25-state national bus tour, at the Georgia State Capitol, Monday, June 24, 2013, in Atlanta. Families of gun violence victims, gun owners, elected officials, faith leaders and advocates voiced their support for comprehensive background checks. AP Photo by Jaime Henry-White

Emma Ascott, Editor in Chief

The Second Amendment was created in 1787 when guns were only able to hold one bullet. In 2017, it seems completely unjustified for anyone to be able to own 20 assault rifles. Federal law does not limit the number of firearms that one is allowed to buy in a single purchase. Private sellers and gun conventions do not require background checks to purchase a gun, usually. Buying a gun is easier to get than healthcare in this country.

According to MarketWatch.com, there is a list of things that are more difficult to obtain than a gun in America:

Kinder Surprise Eggs
(the chocolate egg with
a toy inside)
A driver’s license
A credit card
A hunting or fishing license
A cell-phone contract
The cold medication “Sudafed”
A passport
Health insurance
Fireworks

If Kinder Eggs are banned here in America because kids could choke on the toy in the middle, why are guns legal when they’ve been used to kill children in so many tragedies? After Sandy Hook, and after Americans decided that children being slaughtered was acceptable, the gun debate was really over.

CNN.com reported that the National Rifle Association (NRA) issued a statement after the massacre in which the executive vice president said, “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.”
Contrary to what the NRA believes, arming ourselves with more weaponry will not make this a safer society. It is the existence and availability of these weapons that makes society unsafe in the first place.

How do we recognize who the good guys are? If everyone’s shooting at each other, how do we know who’s in the wrong? When the Las Vegas shooter began firing into the crowd from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel, should the audience have all been armed and started shooting blindly at the hotel? The biggest question is – why is it legal for someone to own 47 guns, half of which were assault rifles?

Many politicians express their sadness over gun related tragedies; they quote scripture or say that they’re “sending their prayers.” Bible quotes and prayers won’t end gun violence though.

On Twitter, Chris Murphy, a U.S. senator, said, “To my colleagues: your cowardice to act cannot be whitewashed by thoughts and prayers. None of this ends unless we do something to stop it.”

These massacres are allowed to happen because of the politicians that allow them by supporting the NRA and accepting their contributions. The NRA is a government sanctioned terrorist group. It is because of their existence that 30,000 people a year are killed by firearms in the United States, according to washingtonpost.com. What America needs is complete gun reform. America has 31 percent of the world’s mass shootings according to cnn.com. Nowhere in the world has as many mass shootings as this country does.

Gun violence numbers in America, obtained from EveryTownResearch.org:

There are 12,000 gun homicides a year.
7 children and teens are killed everyday by guns.
America’s gun homicide rate is 25 times higher than any other developed countries.
Black men are 14 times more likely than white men to be killed with guns.
Women are 5 times more likely to be killed in a domestic violence situation if a gun is present.

After every mass shooting that occurs in America, gun sales skyrocket the next day. This is because people are afraid that gun laws/bans may be imposed, so they stock up on guns while they can. This society has a twisted idea of what freedom is. Freedom is not being able to purchase as many assault rifles as one desires – it’s the ability to go to the movies or a concert or any public space without the fear of being gunned down. There have been more mass shootings than days this year, according to newsweek.com.

Republicans go up in arms about nonviolent protests, but stay silent over mass killings. Something that the GOP and Democrats should be able to agree on is that people with known mental health issues should not be allowed to purchase guns. But in February 2017, Trump signed a bill revoking an Obama-era regulation (which made it harder for people with mental illnesses to obtain a gun, according to nbcnews.com). The NRA is one of the biggest supporters of the Republican party, so in a way they run this country through whatever GOP President is elected at the time. For the 2016 election, the NRA spent over $50 million on electing Republican candidates, according to the  huffingtonpost.com.

It seems this country is simply doomed to continue mass shootings and gun violence. If our government officials won’t regulate these weapons or take a stand against the tragedies they cause, this issue will never be resolved. Republicans will continue to be the puppets of the NRA rather than enacting legislation to protect people from gun violence. This country will have a future of frequent massacres of innocent people, with no hope for change, as long as politicians take campaign contributions from the NRA. Now is the time to call our representatives, and now is definitely the time to talk about gun control and the future of this nation.