Native American drag queen VIZIN performs at Phoenix Pride

Sharlene Celeskey, Contemporary Culture Editor

Courtesy-of-Q-Haus
Native American drag queen VIZIN personifies glitz and glamour.

VIZIN is… a Native American Drag Queen who used to weigh 700 pounds. She is a performer with killer voice and has one of the best falsetto voices I have heard in recent years. He is a fashion critic for US Weekly.  VIZIN is a guest who will be performing at Phoenix Pride on Saturday, April 7 at 4 pm on the main stage. She is a fashion diva that personifies sparkle and glam.  And when I interviewed VIZIN I found her an absolute delight and full of fun with a real zest for experiencing life to the fullest. 

What is the origin of your name VIZIN?

VIZIN: I was going to use Vision Quest as my name to stay in touch with my Native American Culture. I shortened it to Vision and then changed the spelling to VIZIN to make it visually more appealing. Also, it is a great conversation starter. When people do not know how to pronounce it, I am able to connect to them when I explain it.

You performed at Los Angeles Pride last year and how was that? This year you will be at Phoenix pride. What fun stuff do you have planned for your Phoenix Pride visit? Have you been to Phoenix before?

VIZIN: I performed on the Latin stage, the main stage at Los Angeles Pride. There was a huge crowd and it was an awesome experience.

I am excited to be performing at Phoenix Pride on April 7th and I go on at 4 p.m.  I have not been to Phoenix before and will get into town on Friday night and want to have a good time hanging out with the local boys. I always look forward to going to a new destination. I love traveling as I grew up accompanying my mother on her travels to a lot of church meetings. We went to the United Church of Christ which is a liberal church and was the first to acknowledge gay marriage.

How did you get the cool gig for writing for Fashion Police US Weekly?

Who are some of your favorite fashion icons?

VIZIN: I love fashion, and drag is a type of fashion, it is only natural that VIZIN had to be on the panel. She is the larger than life Barbie Drag Queen.

I like classic style fashion designers; Channel and Versace. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West are killing it as fashion icons right now and I like Kanye as a designer. He combines his signature style with high end fashion.  I also like newer designers like Blake Patterson on Project Runway: Season 14 and Marco Marco.

You did a remake of the 70’s artist Sylvester’s anthem, “Mighty Real.” Did you really like the song or were you a fan of Sylvester’s and why?

VIZIN: I was recording the song to connect the present day with the past. The ‘70s were a great era for gay culture. I loved disco and learned about Sylvester at the beginning of my career and he is one of my idols. He could sing in falsetto and so can I.  (Check out VIZIN’s You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) on YouTube.)

I sang in falsetto at a young age and could hit the high notes like Mariah Carey who was my idol. I grew up in a rural area and had no formal musical training. I would sing along with my Whitney Houston and Cher records, until my voice changed at 12. A bit later, I had opera training at college but pulled out of the training because I did not enjoy singing as a tenor. I have always just wanted to sing: pop, country, folk and opera. When I was growing up my mother listened to country artists liked George Straight, The Judds, Dolly Parton, Hank Williams and Johnny Cash.

I love your green hair in the video, “Mighty Real.” It is so beautiful and becoming. The entire video is visually stunning. Where did you find that color wig?

VIZIN: I found this mint green wig at BobbiePinz.  https://www.bobbiepinz.com/. I had it styled and decided to wear it in the video.

Why did you decide not to apply for “RuPaul’s Drag Race?”

VIZIN: What Drag Race has done for gay culture is amazing. I am getting a lot of opportunities because I can sing. The show gives you exposure fast but does not teach you longevity in the music business. I am learning the business as I go through my experiences. Like the old cliché, “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.” My goal is to be a judge or make a guest appearance instead of being a contestant. Also, initially I was trying to hide that I was gay. I did not know I was but others around me did.

Tell me about your experience on your cross country, “Born This Way Tour.” 

VIZIN: It’s been great. I was able to travel home to North Dakota and perform in my home state. It was a lot of fun to see old friends from when I was coming up. I also got to travel to Florida for the first time. Seeing the different faces and meeting new people is so much fun.

What are your future career plans?

VIZIN: I want to continue recording and making music for as long as I can. Right now, I’m recording as well as working on a few other covers, but mostly my focus right now is touring and working on my album.

What’s the most important rule to live by?

VIZIN: Live! We’re not meant to stay in one place, so live the life you have because you only have one chance at it.

Check out VIZIN’s posts on:

https://www.instagram.com/vizinofficial/

https://twitter.com/VIZINOFFICIAL