Iris van Herpen exhibit amazes at Phoenix Art Museum

Sharlene Celeskey, Contemporary Culture Editor

Sharlene Celeskey
Synesthesia, Dress, 2010, is an intricate outfit made of lacquer leather, cow leather, gold foil, metal eyelets, busks and cotton.

The Phoenix Art Museum currently hosts an extraordinary fashion exhibition that will change your perception of how you view fashion and design.  This special exhibition, “Transforming Fashion,” showcases 45 jaw-dropping outfits and shoes created by Dutch designer Iris van Herpen. Each one of her 15 collections featured in this show has a very  distinct personality and vision. The 33-year-old held her first runway show in 2007 and has quickly become one of the world’s most progressive designers. Van Herpen infuses traditional fashion with art, science, architecture, and 3-D printing to construct outfits that blur the lines of what is fashion and what is art. She approaches her outfits like an artist rendering a sculpture. Her revolutionary approach has gained a fan-base  that include Lady Gaga, Bjork, Grimes and Tilda Swinton.

The exhibition runs through May 13. The cost of the fashion exhibition is $5 plus the price of the museum admission. Admission to the museum is free for Maricopa Community College students, staff and faculty (with ID) through June 30, 2018. For more information on the Iris van Herpen exhibit and information  on the museum, check out phxart.org/exhibition/iris-van-herpen.