PVCC hosts second debut of “Since You Asked XIV’” contributed by the Veterans Heritage Project

Veteran’s lives were honored as PVCC took part in celebrating the debut of the Veterans Heritage Project.

Since You Asked XIV, published on April 24, 2018.

Courtney Bush

Courtney Bush

Courtney Bush, Staff writer

The Veterans Heritage Project, also known as VHP, is a nonprofit organization allowing students to interact with veterans and to give veterans a chance to share an untold, uplifting story. This project is able to give high school and college students the opportunity in learning history from primary sources, acknowledging new skills in writing and communication.  VHP is widely known around the Valley, and there happen to be 6 editions of this book published in Arizona. This is the second year that Glendale and Paradise Valley Community Colleges took part in this organization. The first edition of  “Since You Askedwas published last Spring by the Maricopa Community Colleges, and it had impacted the lives of those involved to where another publication was published. This year’s edition is solely focused on World War II, as last year’s was focused on women in the war.

Barbara Hatch, founder and program director, spoke at the reception hosted on Apr. 24, and her words moved the audience. Hatch shared to those in the room that the VHP earned a Congressional Medal of Honor Society 2018 Citizen Honors Award; this was recent news. Stephen Goula, a student and veteran attending Paradise Valley Community College, was one out of the two MC’s at the reception and described this project as “an immediate yes when offered to take part in it.”

The dedication and support behind this project has left the faculty, students and veterans feeling gracious. I, myself, took part in this year’s edition, and it has forever impacted my life. Interviewing my grandfather about the four years he dedicated to serve our country left me at a loss of words. Robert Bailey, veteran and grandfather of 7, stated, “I’m glad I took part in this and never thought my words would turn into a story.”

“Since You Asked XIVis out now and is selling at the price of $25. The words in this publication are worth every second of one’s time.