Avengers: a review of “Infinity War”

The Avengers and movie logo is projected against the skyline of the financial district during Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War red carpet fan event in Singapore, Monday, April 16, 2018. (AP Photo/Yong Teck Lim)

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Jared Spry, Staff writer

“Avengers: Infinity War” delivers the promised story that Marvel fans have waited nearly ten years to behold. Swooping into the box office like the prophesied hero it is, “Infinity War” is currently dominating the market in sales, grossing millions of dollars in net revenue. Starring a massive conglomerate of longtime titans and veterans of the acting industry, such as Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Chris Evans (Captain America) , and Josh Brolin (Thanos), “Infinity War” meets the hype. To some, it exceeded it. The film was unprecedented in its scope and field; never before have so many primary characters, each with their own film franchise, been brought together into a single, cohesive story-line. There were flaws, as any film of this caliber is certain to possess, but the discrepancies were far outweighed by the emotional impact and sheer, enjoyable entertainment the movie brings.

Right out of the gates, the movie gives you a solid punch to the gut. They make it clear that Thanos is not here to mess around. The tone of the movie is set, and the horizon looks grim. The forecast is dark with a cold front of emotional trauma coming in fast. But it is not without hope. Soon after, Iron Man reminds us of Marvels affinity for humor as we see him engaging in day-to-day activities with Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow). We are shown that although this movie intends to be far darker than the vast majority of its predecessors, it will not diverge too
far from some of the quick witticisms which fans have come to recognize and adore.

An aspect of the movie which stands out to any followers of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is the clashing of ego’s between several of the key characters. We get to see combinations unlike we’ve seen before. An example of this is the narcissistic duel of Iron Man and Doctor Strange, played by Benedict Cumberbatch. Downey Jr. and Cumberbatch deliver an entertaining contest of pride as they trade quips, and many fans will find themselves rooting for one hero or the other as per their preferences. Those who aren’t huge fans of either hero or who aren’t particularly invested in the Marvel Universe aren’t left without anything, however, as their dialogue is still very funny. Another example of this is when the 80’s music-loving Starlord (Chris Pratt) meets Thor, (Chris Hemsworth) god of thunder. Thor’s overbearing masculinity clashes with Star Lord’s self-conscious nature in a satisfying display of insults, mockery, and comebacks, which fans and newcomers alike are sure to enjoy.

A refreshing improvement that Marvel Studios made with “Infinity War” was the development of a believable and sympathetic villain. This is something they have struggled to do well over the long course of their superhero film-making history, with only a couple villains truly hitting the mark. Thanos, however, surprises, terrifies, and delights as the universes new big baddie. His character puts forth a logic that is at once both perverse and reasonable, sick yet
logical. His desire to cull half the universe so that the other half may live unhindered by the burdens of overpopulation makes sense mathematically, yet we know morally is is madness. On top of this, Thanos is believable, with several emotional scenes that establish him as a figure who struggles with the decisions he’s making. Josh Brolin accurately conveys deep feelings and expression from beneath several layers of excellently rendered CGI animation.

“Infinity War” is nearly 3 hours long, clocking in ultimately at around 2 hours and 40 minutes. As such, it does suffer from several issues do to its sheer size and scope. For instance, few of our primary characters are given much screen time, as there are over 22 heroes to worry about! Fan-favorites like Black Panther and Black Widow are reduced to a few quick one-liners which do little to draw attention to their rich and extensive backstory. Along similar lines, there
are so many storylines to juggle that the viewer tends to get lost in them as they attempt to navigate the realm of “Infinity War”. It is difficult to tell where the first and second act end, and where the second and third begins. This is a small price to pay, however, since each act, regardless of where they start or end will have you on the edge of your seat to see who emerges victorious in this high-stakes contest for the safety and preservation of humanity.

The finale of the movie is shrouded in secrecy and riddled with spoilers. Going into as little detail as possible, it is safe to say that the ending is a thrilling and nerve-wracking cacophony of disaster and victories alike, which will have you on the edge of your seat even as the credits begin to roll. “Infinity War” delivers a compelling, action-packed blockbuster as promised, which will endear to fans and newcomers alike. This film is absolutely recommended
for anyone looking for a entertaining, engaging movie experience!