Journalism Lives

Puma Press booth at PVCC's Club Rush.

Puma Press booth at PVCC's Club Rush.

Puma Press booth at PVCC's Club Rush.

Adianna Bermudez, Editor in Chief

On Christmas eve, I sat in my great grandparents’ house in South Phoenix with my great uncles and aunts. They were reminiscing about their youth. My Great Uncle John recalled how innocent they all were back then, dancing in the bars together, eating and drinking, and feeling joyous and knowing nothing.

Knowing nothing. How did it feel to know nothing about the world? Would it not feel isolating? Infuriating? Maddening? I believe my Great Uncle John would say, it was a steady and manageable existence.

But, how did they plan their weekends without the internet? How did they find support groups? How did they find jobs? How did they sell their things? How did they know who to vote for?

The news. In the paper, on the radio, on TV, and finally on the internet. What’s more, the news provides information consumers don’t even know they need. There’s a reason for that.

News intends to do more than inform its consumers. News intends to be useful. News intends to encourage action in its consumers even if that action is just actively paying attention to a developing story. Watching, listening, reading, sharing, commenting, and questioning. Thinking about a story.

I think therefore I am. Knowledge is power. Our reason makes us human. We have figured this out and still my great uncle fondly remembers a time of ignorance.

News is necessary and it is necessary to cultivate a culture dedicated to finding, and accurately and fairly revealing the truth. The relevancy and the impact of any given story may be debated but every story, big and small, matters to someone.

This brings me to the Puma Press, the PVCC student-run newspaper. The Puma Press’ mission is to bring attention to issues, affirm achievements, review services and entertainment, refer readers to services, and ultimately educate and entertain our readers. Our stories may not trend on twitter, gain national attention, or even be read by most of the students attending PVCC. Yet we are still here, writing the stories we believe deserve to be written. Whether we are writing about gun control, DACA students at Maricopa Community Colleges, or PVCC baseball, we are writing with enthusiasm and with the goal to educate and entertain our audience.

The makers of news are not the writers, editors, or social media directors. They are you, your family, your next-door neighbor, your coworkers, the stranger sitting next to you on the bus, the politician sitting in your state’s capital, the man falling asleep on the bench, the dog begging for food. The writers and editors are not the makers of news; they are the discoverers of news. They find the stories that anger you, sadden you, enlighten you and inspire you. Most importantly they ensure that all members of the community can be informed and knowledgeable individuals.

That is the role of News, with a capital N, in our society. That is why the Puma Press is still being published at PVCC. Read, watch, listen, share, comment, question and think along with us; the discoverers of news.