Fashion industry brings more diversity to shows

The Loft spring 2019 collection is modeled during Fashion Week Friday, Sept. 7, 2018, in New York.

AP Photo by Kevin Hagen

Courtney Bush, Features Editor

The fashion industry is thriving with more diversity and inclusivity, which has been lacking immensely over the years. Not only are we talking about the skin tone of a model, but whether they are transgender, plus-sized or don’t fit the traditional definition of ‘beautiful’ in the industry. This change has been long overdue and editors/designers are finally listening.

The week in fashion most designers anticipate is New York Fashion Week (NYFW) due to the celebrities, the designs, the models, and most importantly, the name of the industries involved. NYFW began on Sept. 5 and ended on Sept. 14, debuting on average 14 shows each day from designers and companies such as Jeremy Scott, John Elliott, Calvin Klein, Michael Kors Collection, and many more.

The fashion icon and singer, Robyn Rihanna Fenty, staged her own Fashion show during NYFW and left attendees stunned. The Savage x Fenty Lingerie line by Rihanna featured diverse and interpretive dancers appearing in the lingerie. 2000, “became the first black

Rihanna’s vision was to give every woman starring in her show the chance to show their shine and to express the confidence they have for their body. Slick Woods, the face of Fenty, modeled in the show “at nearly nine months pregnant,” according to an article written by Cady Lang titled, “Rihanna Staged an Epic Savage x Fenty NYFW Show That Had Interpretive Dancing and Diverse Models.”

“I don’t think the fashion industry has changed much in diversity. In the 90s, we had Naomi Campbell and Tyra Banks as the leading high fashion models – two women of color – but they both have the “ideal” female body. Every fashion model looks exactly the same, much too skinny. This perpetuates the stereotype that thinness = attractiveness,” says Emma Ascott, a lover of fashion and student at PVCC.

“The range of skin tone and diversity in the fashion world may be improving, but the range of female bodies that are used to model clothing is NOT expanding,” Ascott says.

Anok Yai, raised in the United States after arriving as a refugee in “became the first black model to open a Prada runway show in more than 20 years,” according to Cordelia Tai who wrote “Diversity Report: The Fall 2018 Runways Were the Most Race and Transgender- Inclusive Ever; Not so Much for Age and Size Diversity;” the last black model was Naomi Campbell in 1997. This season at fall fashion shows, more women of color walked the runway than ever before. Last season, the amount of curvy models rose, reaching an all-time high with 38 plus- sized models walking across 12 runways.

The inclusivity involved in this year’s fashion shows reached its peak. Transgender and non-binary models saw a symbolic push toward visibility. A set record of 64 transgender women models walked in 52 shows this Fall, beating Spring 2018’s showing of 49 transgender models. Comparing to two years ago, we could only count six starring in the spring fashion show of 2016.