PVCC Fitness Center offers flexible fitness plans to students, community

Back to Article
Back to Article

The fitness center has an assortment of equipment such as cardio machines free weights, cable-resistance machines, benches and squat racks.

Photo courtesy of PVCC Fitness Center

Photo courtesy of PVCC Fitness Center

Photo courtesy of PVCC Fitness Center

Michael Chirichillo, Staff Wrtier

College students that exercise on a regular basis are more likely to have a higher GPA than students that do not exercise regularly. A study from North Carolina State University called “Study: Recreational Physical Activities Increase Odds of Academic Success,” stated that researchers monitored the physical activity routines and academic performance of upwards of 21,000 undergraduate students. What this study proved is that a student who added one hour of exercise or physical activity per week increased their GPA about .06 points. When the students added three hours of exercise to their weekly regimen, not only did their GPA increase .18 points on average, but there is also a 49 percent higher chance that the student will graduate if they implement this plan permanently. While many students complain of busy schedules, rigorous studies and just lack of time in general, exercising seems to be a major area of depletion when it comes to students attempting to make time.

Luckily for or students of Paradise Valley Community College (PVCC), there is a fully functional fitness center located on campus that has the ability to service the fitness needs for the student body. These benefits include introductory courses for beginners with options of credit and non-credit classes, more experienced classes for athletes, fitness assessments and even personal training from one of the professional PVCC staff.

According to the PVCC website, first time attendance at the fitness center is free of charge, which allows the individual to get a feel for if it is the right fit for them before making a financial commitment. It is advised that new members complete the fitness center orientation before their first visit. The orientation can be scheduled by phone, or in person at the fitness center desk. There are several different plans that they offer for membership, but they are typically more cost friendly compared to corporation gyms.

The fitness center offers several programs in order to reach as many fitness needs as possible. One of the best parts about being a PVCC fitness center member is that all of these programs are free for members. The PVCC website states that the first and most popular program is the free fitness assessment. While with one of the trained staff members, the individual will go through several easy tests that can assess flexibility, muscular strength, endurance and cardiovascular fitness. Once given this information, the individual can better prepare themselves for how they will exercise and utilize the other properties of the gym. If the individual feels as if they need more fitness guidance, then they can also enroll in the Triple Fit Personal Training program.

This is another included perk with the fitness center membership that gives you three entirely free personal training sessions with an instructor. This means that a new member can get at least four free sessions, with the fitness assessment included, with an instructor at no additional cost and they can use this valuable information gained to further their healthy lifestyle.

There are even more programs available with the fitness center if the individual thinks they need more guidance. There is a group fitness program in which up to seven members can go through a workout together which is created by an instructor. This is ideal for someone who does not enjoy working out alone or just wants some more individual attention without being trained so closely.

Also available is the Jump Start program. This program is the most intense, one on one fitness experience that the PVCC fitness center has to offer. For an additional cost of $200, a fitness coach will train you through four rigorous one-hour sessions in order to create your path to your fitness goals. While this does carry the additional cost, it is still relatively cheaper compared to other private training sessions and is conveniently located on campus.

Additional information on the PVCC website says the fitness center offers Fitness Breakout Sessions, which are sponsored seminars held on campus that promote topics of fitness and healthy living. These seminars are completely free and are not only available to PVCC students but also the general public as well. Topics that are frequently discussed at the Breakout Sessions include yoga, eating smart, abdominal workouts and even stress management. A schedule of all Breakout Session events can be found at the fitness center on campus.

The fitness center is also great for the individual who enjoys following their own workout regimen. The gym floor includes cardio equipment, free weights, cable-resistance machines, benches, squat racks and all other essential exercise equipment. There is also plenty of space for stretching or performing body-weight exercises. The gym also has separate rooms which can be used for individual workouts when they are not being used by a class or a group.

Some other amenities included with the fitness center and its membership include lockers that are available for day use however the lock is not included. There is also a full locker room with showers which is a major convenience for students. Also available for checkout are educational fitness videos for further instruction and weight belts for support.

Fitness center hours are 5:30am-8:00pm on Monday-Thursday, Friday 5:30am-7:00pm, and Saturdays 7:00am-2:00pm. The gym is closed on Sundays; however, the wide range of available hours is friendly for students who attend classes on campus and workers that are not available during typical business hours.

For more information, contact the fitness center directly on campus, or by phone at 602-787-7270.